Why Do You Need SharePoint Monitoring?
How can you make sure that your SharePoint Server runs smoothly and nothing can put your business workflows at risk? With efficient SharePoint performance monitoring, you can monitor SharePoint, including your servers, farms, applications, services and other resources, to stay on top of the overall health of your environment and ensure 24/7 system availability. Plus, SharePoint monitoring tools can help you quickly identify the root cause of system downtime or other performance issues and troubleshoot problems before they cause any damage. However, you can’t rely on native SharePoint performance monitoring dashboards alone, because you need to be aware of what changes are made across your sites and who reads what data. Only with this deep insight can you strengthen the security of your critical SharePoint assets, be aware of what your end users have been up to, and combat emerging threats before it’s too late.
Tools you can use to monitor SharePoint
There are many native tools for troubleshooting problems in Microsoft SharePoint, each designed for different needs. The more gaps you need to cover, the more tools you’ll have to use. Here are the most common tools for monitoring SharePoint:
- Windows PowerShell — By running PowerShell scripts, you can collect and view data from the particular logs you need, such as logs on permissions changes or read access events. But be ready to spend significant time writing and maintaining scripts and massaging the raw log data into a more readable format.
- Event Viewer — A part of the Microsoft Management Console, this is a great tool for browsing and managing event logs for efficient troubleshooting.
- SharePoint Health Analyzer — This built-in feature of Central Administration helps you analyze and resolve issues related to security, performance, configuration and availability.
- SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) — This independent tool helps you create reports on various activities, provided you have the SQL language skills required to create and run custom scripts.
How to complement SharePoint monitoring tools with insightful security intelligence to spot threats
To strengthen the security of your critical SharePoint assets and ensure their ongoing availability, the first thing you need to do is monitor SharePoint activity. But monitoring alone is not enough; you also need to be able to quickly diagnose and pinpoint problems. How quickly can you determine who changed a SharePoint farm configuration and thereby degraded its performance, or which users read and then deleted lists with sensitive content, freezing business processes in an entire department? To expedite troubleshooting of security incidents like these, you need to be able to easily spot threats across your SharePoint environment.
Netwrix Auditor for SharePoint delivers actionable intelligence that complements native monitoring, offering deep insights into changes to sites, content and configuration, as well as who read which content and when. With Netwrix Auditor, you can:
- Mitigate the risk of attacks and ensure no unauthorized activity goes unnoticed by spotting suspicious activity in minutes with detailed SharePoint reports.
- Slash time on reporting by simply subscribing to the reports you need; these reports will be delivered to you automatically on the schedule you specify.
- Investigate potential risks right away digging deeper into the root cause with the Google-like Interactive Search.
- Respond to incidents faster with custom alerts on critical activity.
- Securely retain your SharePoint audit data in a cost-effective two-tiered (file-based + SQL Server database) storage for years.
- Keep an eye on what’s happening across your SharePoint Online and instantly get valuable details on activity with Netwrix Auditor for Office 365.