IT pros admit unauthorized access, malware and DoS attacks are top three cloud security concerns today
Netwrix 2016 Cloud Security Survey finds insufficient security measures still hinder cloud adoption
Irvine, CA, November 15, 2016
Netwrix Corporation, the first vendor to introduce a visibility and governance platform for hybrid cloud security, today announced the results of its second global Cloud Security Survey. Security and privacy of data and systems in the cloud remains a top worry for 70% of IT professionals worldwide, up from 63% in 2015. The top three cloud security concerns in 2016 are unauthorized access (69%), malware (37%) and denial of service (DoS) attacks (34%).
Even though cloud service providers make security a top priority, cloud computing is still associated with a number of risks, including potential for unauthorized access by employees and third parties, sophisticated attacks, and lack of visibility into what is happening across cloud IT environments.
Netwrix asked more than 600 IT professionals from technology, government, healthcare, finance, manufacturing and other industries about their thoughts on security in the cloud, their readiness to adopt the technology and possible ways to ensure data protection.
In summary the key survey findings show:
- Cloud adoption rate has risen during the past year, from 43% of organizations in 2015 to 68% this year. However, only 8% of companies are ready to move their entire IT infrastructure to the cloud in the near future.
- Security and data privacy is the top concern with cloud (70%) followed by loss of control over data (53%).
- A hybrid cloud approach is preferred by 55% of organizations that are considering a cloud move; 40% of cloud users are already taking advantage of the hybrid model. This model enables them to balance costs, business benefits and data security.
- The most common factors that hinder cloud adoption are insufficient security mechanisms (56%), high costs and small budgets (54%), and lack of compliance guarantees (39%).
- The majority (61%) of respondents indicate that their own employees pose more risk to data security in the cloud than anyone else.
- The overwhelming majority (95%) of respondents consider visibility into user activities in the cloud to be an important element in cloud providers’ security guarantees.
"The 2016 survey has revealed that despite cloud providers trying hard to secure the cloud environments, the majority of IT pros are still not convinced that the technology is safe enough — mainly because of the insider threat. Lack of visibility is the primary reason why security remains the top cloud-related challenge for many organizations. Advanced security solutions and an integrated view of activities both in the cloud and on premises will help companies increase user accountability, detect insider threats faster and prevent data exfiltration, thus minimizing the damage from unauthorized or incorrect user actions," said Alex Vovk, CEO and co-founder of Netwrix.
Learn more about cloud technology concerns and download the 2016 Cloud Security Survey: www.netwrix.com/go/cloudsurvey2016
About Netwrix Corporation
Netwrix Corporation was the first vendor to introduce a visibility and governance platform for hybrid cloud security. More than 160,000 IT departments worldwide rely on Netwrix to detect insider threats on premises and in the cloud, pass compliance audits with less effort and expense, and increase productivity of IT security and operations teams. Founded in 2006, Netwrix has earned more than 100 industry awards and been named to both the Inc. 5000 and Deloitte Technology Fast 500 lists of the fastest growing companies in the U.S. For more information, visit www.netwrix.com
Avista PR for Netwrix
Your questions and feedback are always welcome. Please dial our toll-free number, 888-638-9749, or enter your question details here and we will reply as soon as possible.