Banks, credit unions, insurance companies,
Security predictions 2015: new challenges and risk mitigation drive changes to IT security
Netwrix shares top security trends that will drive information technology in 2015
Irvine, CA, December 10, 2014
As the complexity and diversity of devices, platforms and modes of technological interaction advance, so do the associated risks from malicious individuals and criminal organizations that wish to exploit and leverage technology for their own purposes. As we move into 2015, Netwrix, the #1 provider of change and configuration auditing software, offers the following IT security trends and predictions, along with the most crucial areas to keep watch over in the New Year.
- Prediction #1: Security and the Cloud. As more and more data is moved into the cloud, the market’s focus on cloud security will increase. The security of cloud technologies in 2015 will focus on improved data encryption; the ability to view audit trails for configuration management and the secure access of data; and the development of security brokers for cloud access, allowing for user access control as a security enforcement point between a user and cloud service provider.
- Prediction #2: Mobile Security. As the adoption and standardization of a few select OS platforms grows, the opportunity for an attack also increases. In 2015, we will see various solutions introduced to improve mobile protection, including the development of patch management across multiple devices and platforms, the blocking of apps from unknown sources and anti-malware protection.
- Prediction #3: Security in the Software-Defined Data Center. As the industry continues to rapidly embrace software-defined networking (SDN) and software-defined storage (SDS), risk grows for centralized controllers that can become a single point of malicious attack. As more companies run SDN and SDS deployments as pilots or proofs of concept, we expect their security concerns will be raised and addressed by the market. Netwrix expects more of a focus on security from manufacturers, as well as new solutions from third party vendors.
- Prediction #4: Security and the Internet of Things. The Internet of Things (IoT) universe is expanding and a growing diversity of devices are connecting to the network and/or holding sensitive data. From smart TVs to Wi-Fi-connected light bulbs, devices and the systems that connect to them, require proper management, as well as security policies and provisions. Even though attacks on the IoT will not become widespread in 2015 – most attacks are likely to be “whitehat” hacks to report vulnerabilities and proof of concept exploits – sophisticated targeted attacks may go beyond traditional networks and PCs, depending on the nature of the victim’s specific business processes and connected devices.
- Prediction #5: Security and Next Generation Security Platforms. In 2015 and beyond, we predict that there will be more vendors in the information security industry talking about integration, security analytics and the leveraging of big data. Security analytics platforms have to take into account the various internal data sources as well as the external feeds, such as online reputation services and third party threat intelligence feeds. The role of context and risk assessment will also become more important. Defense systems will focus more on minimizing attack surfaces, isolating and segmenting the infrastructure to reduce potential damage and identifying the most business-critical components to protect.
For more information about security predictions for 2015, please visit: www.netwrix.com/go/predictions2015
"Looking back at previous years, which were full of unprecedented security incidents, new security challenges will, unfortunately, continue to arise," said Michael Fimin, CEO and co-founder of Netwrix. "IT professionals should be armed with mission-critical information on what security threats they might face and be prepared to defend against them in advance."
About Netwrix Corporation
Netwrix Corporation, the #1 provider of change and configuration auditing solutions, delivers complete visibility into who did what, when and where across the entire IT infrastructure. This strengthens security, streamlines compliance and optimizes operations. Founded in 2006, Netwrix is named to the Inc. 5000 list and Deloitte Technology Fast 500. Netwrix software is used by 160,000 users worldwide.
E.S. Jones Public Relations
Your questions and feedback are always welcome. Please dial our toll-free number, 888-638-9749, or enter your question details here and we will reply as soon as possible.