Survey: Data security and automation are top IT goals for 2020; AI lags behind
Netwrix, a vendor of information security and governance software, today announced the release of the Netwrix IT Trends 2020 report, which summarizes feedback from 1045 IT professionals worldwide about the projects they are planning for the upcoming year. Data security and automation were the top two planned IT projects for 2020, while artificial intelligence (AI) projects didn’t make the list’s top 10.
The online survey, conducted in October 2019, asked respondents to name their top five IT projects for the next year; they could pick from a predefined list or specify their own descriptions. The survey found no dramatic difference in IT priorities among organizations based on size or vertical. The key findings include:
- 74% of organizations named data security as their top IT priority for 2020
- 54% of respondents plan to focus on automating manual tasks
- 43% of organizations ranked data privacy among their top five priorities; 52% of them are subject to privacy regulations
- 33% of organizations intend to focus on digital transformation, integrating their existing solutions and performing cloud migrations. These goals were mostly cited by larger organizations with more than 5,000 employees
- 20% of organizations plan to focus on addressing the IT skills shortage either through education of existing IT personnel or talent acquisition
- AI was included in the predefined list of choices but didn’t make it into top 10 IT trends selected. Only 14% of large organizations (10,000–50,000 employees) plan to deploy AI-based solutions in 2020
Not surprisingly, data security is a top priority for the majority of organizations. There are several factors that go into a successful data security process. The first is automating current processes to free up time for data security projects. Another is to research and deploy a data security solution. Be sure your solution offers automated data classification, because it is the optimal way to enhance data security and reduce your attack surface without additional effort by the IT team.
Steve Dickson, CEO of Netwrix
Infrastructure, operations, networking and security are the foundation upon which the technology-enabled world is built. It must deliver value at each layer as it ultimately supports people.
Gartner, "Top 10 Strategic Technology Trends for 2020" by David Cearley, et al, 21 October 2019.
To see the complete findings in the Netwrix IT Trends 2020 report, please visit https://www.netwrix.com/go/ITtrends2020
Netwrix makes data security easy. Since 2006, Netwrix solutions have been simplifying the lives of security professionals by enabling them to identify and protect sensitive data to reduce the risk of a breach, and to detect, respond to and recover from attacks, limiting their impact. More than 13,500 organizations worldwide rely on Netwrix solutions to strengthen their security and compliance posture across all three primary attack vectors: data, identity and infrastructure.
For more information, visit www.netwrix.com.
Your questions and feedback are always welcome. Please dial our toll-free number: 888 - 638 - 9749, or enter your question details here and we will reply as soon as possible.
Erin Jones, Avista PR for Netwrix
Phone: 704 - 664 - 2170